Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Make Linux Work For You--Today.

It is no secret the I am a huge fan of Linux and Free (open source) software. Of all the computers I own, only one (my new best friend, the HP 200LX) does not run Linux at some capacity.

A lot of my friends and co-workers have expressed curiosity about Linux, or confusion as to why I would use it, I hope to clear up those two questions in this post.

First and foremost, I use Linux because:
  • It gives me the control I want over my computer (For example, The CapsLock key on all of my computers has been remapped to control. When I work with other people's computers I end up typing "Z END UP T" a lot).
  • I didn't have to search through online auctions (or resort to piracy) to find a version that will work on my older computers.
  • There are software packages to handle everything I would like to do.
  • I feel safe. My netbook (Asus eeePC 701), which stays on me nearly all the time, runs Debian. It boots to a command line (there is a GUI, but I tend to prefer the command line for quick work). Most people, when presented with a Linux command line, would be lost.
  • Its fun!
There are two linux distributions that I commonly suggest to those that express an interest.

Puppy Linux:
A light weight LiveCD. That is, a Linux Distribution that runs from a CD and does not require a hard drive. (In fact, I use puppy on several 'Diskless' workstations.)

Ubuntu Linux:
Ubuntu is a bit heavier than puppy, though it should run on any reasonably recent system. Ubuntu is much larger than puppy, and to use it at any real capacity, you need to install it to your hard drive. You also need a working internet connection.


Installation:


PUPPY
For those with older computers or generally weaker systems I would recommend the Official puppy linux CD.

For those with a bit more Ooomph, there is wNOP:


Puppy is fairly easy to use. Download the ISO file, use an ISO burner to put the file on CD. BurnCDCC works well. Put the CD in the CD drive and reboot the computer. If all goes well, Puppy comes up. There are simple wizards to setup video, sound, and networking, and most of the time things work well.


UBUNTU
The first few steps are the same. Download an ISO, burn it to CD, put the CD in the drive and Reboot.

Then things get a bit more complicated. Ubuntu will present you with a menu from which you can choose either option one or option two. If you choose option one, you are welcome to play with the included applications, before choosing the install icon off the desktop.

From the installation menu, just follow along. Ubuntu's developer's have made what is normally a frustrating process rather simple. The most complex part of the ordeal is setting up disk partitioning. If you are planning to take the plunge and make ubuntu your only operating system, the it is easy enough to choose the option of guided, use whole disk.
If not, you need to resize your existing partitions to make room for ubuntu. Ubuntu needs ~2 GB to be usefull, plus a swap file (The same size as available RAM on your system, if you plan on using the suspend to disk feature.)

Other than that, the installation is fairly simple. If you run into a hitch, the Ubuntu forums are a fantastic place to find help on a myrid of topics. And Google is your friend. (Search for "Ubuntu *version* *Name of your computer or device*".)

Ubuntu is a much more feature-rich distribution than Puppy. It includes a fantastic package managment system (found under Applications-> Add/Remove Programs.)
There are programs to do nearly everything you would want preinstalled. If you do need something more, the package manager has programs for every need.

If there is a specific program you feel you can't live without, or you are ever looking for a substitute, OsAlt is a fantastic resource.

Even some great games: first person shooters (Nexuiz, Doom, Doom 3); Guitar Hero (well, technically Frets on Fire, but who's keeping score?); platformers (Secret Maryo Chronicles, Super Tux) are available for Linux.

All things considered, installing Linux is a relatively simple thing to do. However, especially with some of the larger distributions, it is easy to make a mistake and leave your computer nonfunctional. (Then again, it is easy to fix it using the same tools.)

If you are serious about trying Linux, go for a live CD (if not Puppy, there is knoppix, DSL, featherweight linux, and many more.) And if you decide to take the plunge, don't be afraid to ask for help, whether here, in the forums or from a friend.

1 comment:

  1. I have Ubuntu on my desktop, now if only I was patient enough to learn how to use it efficiently...Also it would help to have a computer that performs at the speed at which I would like and an internet connection...

    ReplyDelete